Tuesday 1 July 2014

Homemade Yogurt

Bit of a different once, but nice all the same. My partner and his family eat this a lot. It’s very healthy, has no artificial colours or preservatives only a pinch of salt if you wish ;) .
Now I wouldn’t recommend to give this to babies under 1 just in case it may upset their tummy’s as I can only remember if it was just cows milk and honey over 12 months old. So not too sure about this yogurt. I think other kiddies yogurt might be different, but please ask your health visitor or GP first before giving it to babies under 1.
Now yogurt may seem a bit daunting to make, but it’s just as simple as it tastes.
Ingrediants;
1 4 pint of whole fat milk (the blue one)
1 cup of plain yogurt
Pinch of salt if you wish.
Method:
Boil the whole contents of milk in to a deep pan.
Once boiled turn off the heat and leave to cool till it’s no longer hot but not cold.
Once luke warm add 1 cup of yogurt and stir until combine.
Place pan lid on to pan securely.
Find a place where you can put your pan, and you need to cover and wrap it.
I use a big sofa blanket, towels and jackets to cover mine. When I say cover I mean to wrap the blankets/towels etc around the pan nice and tight.
Now I normally make my yogurt at around 7.30pm (because dinner and the washing up is all finished and lo is ready for bed etc.) Then I leave it wrapped up until the morning, around about 8.30am-9.00am. Meaning it has been left for around 12-13 hours.
Unwrap the pan and you will have yogurt. It may have some water and look a bit like cottage cheese, this is normal. Once you stir it, it becomes smooth. It’s also normal to have some lumps in it too.
Place in a clean and dry container and store in your fridge.
Leave at least 3-4 hours before you eat it, to get the nice cold texture and taste.
Done! Very simple. This can also be added to some of my recipes I posted earlier, such as the Ispanak yemek. Just add a spoonful of yogurt on top.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment